Thursday, February 2, 2012

Language Stars-Week 4

There is a new girl in class! I believe all of the other kids in class have at least one Mandarin speaking parent.  I don't believe I've mentioned this but the other moms in the class are lovely-they all have more experience with Mandarin than I do and are very helpful if I'm unsure of how to pronounce something. 

We again covered winter clothing and counting.  Additionally we started learning colors.  The story, The Mitten, was told in Mandarin using an English copy of the book.  This is a sweet book in any language.  E understands the words for fox, frog, rabbit and bear.  The kids decorated mittens with stickers after their snack of goldfish crackers and Fruit Loops (used to reinforce the color vocabulary). E has not had Fruit Loops before and loved them-I suppose a few won't hurt. After today we can both confidently say the word for "mitten" - shou tao!

It has become clear to me that I will not be able to retain much from week to week unless we pick up our usage of Mandarin words at home.  I'm also hoping to find a program that I can use-perhaps the Pimsleur Approach? I like the idea of 30 minute lessons I can listen to each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment