Friday, January 20, 2012

How we chose Mandarin- part 2

The other language we had considered was Mandarin.  So many people speak Mandarin and we could see how it would be beneficial to our daughter in the future especially if she went into business.  I also am a small part Chinese and thought at least there was more of a connection there than with Spanish.

We had a positive experience with Little Pim Mandarin (more on this in a separate post soon).

We tried a parent tot class of Mandarin out at Language Stars.  E did much better in this class. I think she was a little afraid of the teacher (she was shy of most males at the time).  The other student in the class wasn't very participatory-so it was again quite challenging for us.  I wasn't feeling well and we ended up leaving early.  The center manager was very understanding when we spoke on the phone later that week.  I was hesitant to sign up for a class if E wasn't going to participate. I just felt for her it was too early.  We agreed to talk after she turned 2.

The new assistant center director called in mid-December and we did it-we signed up for the Winter/Spring session! I'm very excited to see how this goes!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey! I look forward to hearing about your experiences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - Lis J told me about you. I live in Chicago loop. I have a 2 year old also and we speak Mandarin at home. We did Chinese class at ChinaKidsUsa and LangoKids. Lis says she is a friend of a friend of yours. Anyway, contact me if you want to talk more. Maybe we can put the kids on skype :)

    ReplyDelete