Thursday, January 19, 2012

How we chose Mandarin- part 1

My husband and I have a 2 year old daughter. We'd heard and read about the benefits of exposure to additional languages while children are very young.  Neither of us is fluent in a language other than English.  Spanish seems to be a common second language to learn in the area with many options for schools.

We came across Language Stars based on some friends recommendations. We tried a trial class in Spanish. I was thrown off because the teacher was from Argentina and her pronunciation was different than what I had been taught and exposed to. My daughter was maybe 14 months at the time.  There was a younger child-maybe 10 months and an older child who was having a rough day.  It was not a great experience. The Center Director was very understanding and offered for me to try another class.

Leaving that day, I started to question the choice of Spanish for my daughter. Was this the most useful language for her to learn? Or was I choosing it because it was easiest for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment